A Finished Baby Blanket of Doom

Like every knitter out there, I have unfinished objects (UFO’s) lurking in a dark corner of my closet, languising away for years at a time, untouched, unloved, and shunned.  The reasons for these UFO’s are nearly all the same: ugly acrylic yarn, started during my early knitting years, stupid easy patterns, that ugly, ugly, acrylic yarn.  The majority of my UFO’s are baby blankets, started with the best of intentions, for babies who are now entering preschool. These baby blankets I refer to as “Baby Blankets of Doom” mostly because of the dread of opening up that UFO project bag and pulling out that icky, boring pattern.

UFO’s take up precious room in my 400 Square foot studio living space, at least 2 square feet of that is occupied by ugly yarn and doomed projects. Obviously these are projects that need to be done, space that could be freed up for lovely new yarn and projects.  So I set out a few weeks ago to finish one of these baby blankets of doom.

I pulled out the nearly 2×2 foot blanket is acrylic “Sweet Stripes” by Bernat.  This particular yarn was purchased maybe 3 and a half years ago after learning we would be having a baby shower for one of the math teachers who had left our school the year before.  Pink and purple self striping yarn on #9 needles would satisfy the baby shower needs!  I cast on with the best of intentions, with rows and rows of stockinette with a garter border.  Purling the back become agony and the stripes never quite started and ended where I wanted.  The baby shower came and went and the half finished banket was put in it’s resting place for the next several years.  I took it out once or twice, sure, adding a couple rows here and there when there was time before putting it away again.

This year I was reading a blog about slow stashing and wanted so badly to go in and throw out all my icky old acrylic yarn and be done with it.  Sadly, the cheapy inside of me say “No, you payed good money for that hideous yarn so you better darn well use it.”  So the yarn continues to languish away in a sack up in my closet, still taking up space.  I have good intentions for it all, sure, but I need to pull it out and use it or lose it.

But finally, one project is finished, a baby blanket of doom no more!

non-baby blanket of doom

non-baby blanket of doom

One down, 2 to go! Now lets all get out there and knit up those Projects of Doom!

Advertisements

2 lb Cabled Dog Sweater

June up in Canada requested a 2 lb chihuahua sweater for her 8-week old puppy.  In this post I will revise the pattern for Darby’s Cabled Sweater for a 2 lb chihuahua.  The original pattern was for a 3 lb puppy and was a wee bit short and tight.  I would encourage you to use the 3 lb pattern so that there is room for the pup to be comfortable and have room to go, but modifying the pattern to be a little smaller is easy enough.

My gauge is 4 stitches per inch using worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles.

Cast on 20 sts loosely, divide over 3 needles, 6 sts on 1st needle, 8 on 2nd, 6 on 3rd, join together (this will be the bottom center, between the legs area)

Do a k2, p2 rib for 2 inches

Begin increases for chest

Switch to straight stitch

kfb of first stitch, k5, p1, k6, p1, k5, kfb of last stitch (22 sts)

Kfb, k 6, p1,k6, p1, k6, kfb, (24 sts)

Kfb, k7, p1, k6, p1, k7, kfb (26 sts)

Kfb, k8, p1, k6, p1, k8, kfb (28 sts)

Kfb, k 9, p1, k6, p1, k9, kfb (30 sts)

Kfb, k 10, p1, k6, p1, k10, kfb (32 sts)

Kfb, k11, p1, do a cable crossover here, (pick up the 1st 3 sts to be knitted and put on cable needle, k the next 3 sts and then knit the 3 sts on the cable needle), p1, k11, kfb (34 sts)

Kfb, k12, p1,k6, p1, k12, kfb (36 sts)

Kfb, K13, p1, k6, p1, k13, kfb (38 sts)

Making leg holes

Kfb, k2, bind off 7, k to end of needle, p1, k6, p1 (center needle)k 2, bind off 7, k3, kfb

Knit 4, cast on 7 (I do this by making a backwards loop on my needle for each cast on st.), continue in usual way until you come to those 7 cast off stitches and cast then back on and knit to end.

K 16, p1, k6, p1, k16 (this seems a little off, if you see the problem, let me know)

K16, p1, make cable, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, make cable, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

K16, p1, k6, p1, k16

Continue in this fashion until sweater is long enough for your pup, I’m going to say about 5 inches.

K2, p2 ribbing for 1 inch, bind off loosely.

Sleeves
Pick up the 14 stitches around the sleeve hole plus an extra by grabbing one of the stitches in between the bound off rows for 16 sts total.Knit for 8 rows and bind off loosely.

Finishing

Sew in all loose threads.(I hate this part)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Buttercup Beret

My first finished object of the year! I’ve been loving the Buttercup Beret (free pattern by Sweet Sassafras)n and it has been in my Ravelry cue for a couple months. I didn’t use the required yarn, instead I used some Berocco Pleasure I have had in my stash for a good 4 years.  I used it once to make a neckwarmer but it was a bit itchy. so the yarn was frogged and sat in a plastic zippy bag for 4 years.

Buttercup Beret

The cables were pretty darn easy and while I wondered about how quickly and nicely it would decrease in the end but it turned out lovely.  Now I just need to wear it…