We go to hockey a lot. Bill’s friends have season tickets for maybe 8 or 10 people and always have extra tickets for us to use. Bill’s friend Dax has a wee tiny baby named Maili (sounds like Mylee) who they bring to hockey with blankets ad ear protection so it isn’t too loud for her. Anyway, I wanted to knit something for Maili after noticing how many of the ladies at the hockey games wear hand made uggo fun fur scarves. Always up for a challenge, I spotted a kid wearing a hat from the fan shop with a yellow mohawk down the center. I immediately wanted to make one and needed a willing victim *cough* er, someone to present the lovely finished product to.
Obviously Maili needed an earflap hat with mohawk, posthaste.
I used the earflap hat pattern found here, by Julie, altered the stitch count a little bit, divided it into equal sections with a strip running up the front and the back that wouldn’t be decreased at all so that I could kitchner them together at the top and then latch-hook in the mohawk top. For reference I looked at the mohawk hats from “Punk Knitting” and some other similar hat before coming up with my own solutions.
I think this is the proudest I have been of an object in a while because this was something new for me. It took a pretty good amount of effort, some planning, some color matching and 6 hours of cutting and putting in the yellow mohawk part, one stitch at a time. All in all maybe 10 hours or more of work, but the decreases worked out the first time I did them and I didn’t have to pull it all out and start again..and again. Next time I will use wool and felt it, which is what was done in some of the book patterns (which I found out only after readng about people’s projects on ravelry).